Winter 2022: Offered at AST and Online (Hybrid)
What is the relationship of scripture and theology? Some answers to this question start with the Bible, while others begin with Christian doctrine, while still others call for a dialectical movement between canon and creed. To illustrate the problems and possibilities, this course explores work by biblical and theological specialists who transgress the conventional limits of their disciplines. Specific doctrines under consideration may include: creation, sin, election, incarnation, divine impassibility, Christology, Mariology, law and gospel, death and resurrection, and the afterlife.
Required Texts (Winter 2022)*
- Gary A. Anderson. Christian Doctrine and the Old Testament: Theology in the Service of Biblical Exegesis. Grand Rapids: Baker Academic, 2017. ISBN 978-0801098253.
- Ellen F. Davis. Opening Israel’s Scriptures. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2019. ISBN 978-0190948948.
* Please note that textbook selections for my courses often change with each iteration of the course.
Recommended Texts (Optional)
- Making Sense
- Margot Northey, Bradford A. Anderson, and Joel N. Lohr. Making Sense in Religious Studies: A Student’s Guide to Research and Writing. 3rd ed. Don Mills, ON: Oxford University Press, 2019.
- This title is optional but highly recommended. It includes basic advice on things like reading religious texts, writing essays and book reviews, making oral presentations, and learning languages. It should help you master fundamental tasks in nearly any course in religion or theology.
- The SBL Handbook of Style, 2nd Edition, is the definitive style manual for biblical studies and related disciplines.
- A blog (sblhs2.com) and free Student Supplement (PDF) should cover the issues most common to term papers. The AST library copy is in the reference section at PN 147 S26 2014.
- Serious students of biblical studies will want a copy of their own. Order one from SBL Press or elsewhere online. ISBN 978-1589839649.
- See my resources page for further advice on writing, style, and research.
Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.