This page is a work in progress. Check back soon for updates, or pester me if there’s something you’d like to see here. – DRD, 13 November 2018
Program Advising at AST
- MDiv Checklist, ACC Stream
Guides for Writing and Style
In addition to the relevant course syllabus, students should refer to my Guidelines for Papers (PDF), a handout with generalized advice about how to succeed at the types of writing assignments I tend to give. (Hint: do you have a strong thesis?) The file also includes a copy of the rubric I use for paper analysis and assessment.
- The SBL Handbook of Style, 2nd Edition, is the definitive style manual for biblical studies and related disciplines. Details on correct citation may be found in:
- Style acts in service of effective writing. For guidance on research and writing
I recommend two books in particular.
- For a discipline-specific overview of the basics, see Margot Northey, Bradford A. Anderson, and Joel N. Lohr, Making Sense in Religious Studies: A Student’s Guide to Research and Writing, 3rd ed. (Don Mills, ON: Oxford University Press, 2019). The book has sound, rudimentary advice on things like reading religious texts, writing essays and book reviews, making oral presentations, and learning languages. It should help you master fundamental tasks in nearly any course in religion or theology. Order it in Canada (3rd ed) or the USA (2nd ed).
- For intermediate to advanced work, see Kate L. Turabian, A Manual for Writers of Research Papers, Theses, and Dissertations, 9th Edition, ed. Wayne C. Booth et al. (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2018). Serious researchers will want a copy of their own. Order it in Canada or the USA.
AST Library Resources
Access is to AST databases is provided through OpenAthens or EZProxy authentication services.
Select Religion & Theology Databases
- ATLA Religion Database with ATLASerials
- Old Testament Abstracts
- Oxford Biblical Studies Online
- Oxford Bibliographies: Biblical Studies
- RBL: Review of Biblical Literature
Select Multidisciplinary Databases
- Academic Search Premier
- eBook Collection (EBSCOhost)
- ArticleFirst (index)
- ECO: Electronic Collections Online (journals)
- ERIC: Education Resources Information Center
- MEDLINE (abstracts)
- Digital Karl Barth Library
- Gale Virtual Reference Library
- WorldCatDissertations (catalogue)
- WorldCat - First Search
Go here for a fuller list of databases available through the AST library.
Society of Biblical Literature
SBL resources for education