Offered Online, Winter 2019
In this course Ecclesiastes will be studied in the context of the Writings and other wisdom literature, and in connection with the book’s reception history. By the end of the course students should be able to: understand the basic shape of the Writings and, within that collection, books classified as wisdom literature; give examples of extra-biblical parallels to wisdom literature; situate Ecclesiastes relative to other Solomonic literature; characterize some ancient and modern commentaries on Ecclesiastes; articulate a few of the major interpretive options in reading Ecclesiastes; defend their own readings of the book in writing, with detailed textual support.
Requirements: Weekly readings, weekly discussions, a creative presentation, a final paper.
Required Texts (Winter 2019)*
- Eric S. Christianson. Ecclesiastes through the Centuries. Blackwell Bible Commentaries. Malden, MA / Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell, 2007 (paperback, 2012).
- Get the Bibliography and some other matter from the Wiley Online Library.
- See the generally useful Blackwell Bible Commentaries online resources.
- Order the book in Canada or the USA. ISBN 978-0470674918.
- Michael V. Fox. Ecclesiastes: The Traditional Hebrew Text with the New JPS Translation. The JPS Bible Commentary. Philadelphia: Jewish Publication Society, 2004.
- Order it in Canada or the USA. ISBN 978-0827607422.
* Please note that textbook selections for my courses often change with each iteration of the course.
Recommended Texts (Optional)
- Making Sense
- Margot Northey, Bradford A. Anderson, and Joel N. Lohr. Making Sense in Religious Studies: A Student’s Guide to Research and Writing. 3rd ed. Don Mills, ON: Oxford University Press, 2019.
- This title is optional but strongly recommended. It includes basic advice on things like reading religious texts, writing essays and book reviews, making oral presentations, and learning languages. It should help you master fundamental tasks in nearly any course in religion or theology.
- Order it in Canada or the USA (2nd ed). ISBN 978-0199026838.
- The SBL Handbook of Style, 2nd Edition, is the definitive style manual for biblical studies and related disciplines.
- A blog (sblhs2.com) and free Student Supplement (PDF) should cover the issues most common to term papers. The AST library copy is in the reference section at PN 147 S26 2014.
- Serious students of biblical studies will want a copy of their own. Order one from SBL Press or elsewhere in Canada or the USA. ISBN 978-1589839649.
- See my resources page for further advice on writing, style, and research.
- Jennie Barbour. The Story of Israel in the Book of Qohelet: Ecclesiastes as Cultural Memory. Oxford Theological Monographs. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2012.
- Order it in Canada or the USA. ISBN 978-0199657827.
- Katherine J. Dell. Interpreting Ecclesiastes: Readers Old and New. Critical Studies in the Hebrew Bible 3. Winona Lake, IN: Eisenbrauns, 2013.
- Order it in Canada or the USA. ISBN 978-1575062815.