I teach the following courses at the Atlantic School of Theology. In addition to covering the basics for graduate-level survey and language requirements, I try to offer a representative rotation of courses from the three parts of Tanakh by covering selections from the Law, the Prophets, and the Writings.
Hebrew Bible (Fall 2017): One of two requirements in the Biblical Foundations series, this course surveys the Hebrew Bible/Old Testament and explores its historic role as Jewish and Christian Scripture.
The Ten Commandments (Winter 2018): A careful look at the ten words spoken directly by God to Israel at Mount Sinai, along with their significance in biblical and post-biblical tradition.
The Twelve Prophets (Winter 2018): An overview of twelve Hebrew prophets (sometimes called “minor”) and the canonical associations that have caused some to speak of The Book of the Twelve.
Exodus and the Life of Moses (Summer 2018): tk.
Beginning Biblical Hebrew I (Winter 2018): tk.
Beginning Biblical Hebrew II (Winter 2019): tk.
The Book of Genesis (Winter 2017): A study of the histories of Genesis that seeks to understand the book’s foundational role as scripture from antiquity down through the present day.
Psalms in Interpretation (Winter 2017): An overview of current research on the shape and shaping of the Psalter, and a seminar on the reception history of about a dozen particular psalms.
Christian Doctrine and the Old Testament (Summer 2017): An exploration of the relationship of scripture and theology through the study of recent approaches to the OT as a source for Christian Doctrine.
Previous Courses Taught
Tyndale University College, 2008–2016
- Old Testament Scripture (BSTH 101)
- The Pentateuch (BSTH 310)
- Genesis (T&I: RLGS 321)
- The Ten Commandments (T&I: RLGS 311/BSTH 321)
- Jonah/Micah/Nahum in the Book of the XII (T&I: RLGS 314)
- Psalms (T&I: RLGS 326/BSTH 314)
- Ecclesiastes (BSTH 315/440)
- The Fate of the Dead (BTT: RLGS 445)
- Canon and the Rule of Faith (BTT: RLGS 446)
- The Old Testament at Christian Scripture (BTT: RLGS 448)
- Creation and the Old Testament (TOBITH: BSTH 440)
- Forgiveness (TOBITH: BSTH 440)
- The Historical Geography of Israel (RLGS 307/BIBL 060)
- Directed Study in: Leviticus (RLGS 450)
- Honours Thesis in Religious Studies I & II (RLGS 497 & 499)
- Introduction to Biblical Hebrew I & II (HEBR 201 & 202)
- Readings in Biblical Hebrew I & II (HEBR 301 & 302)
University of St Andrews, 2005–2008
- The History and Religion of Ancient Israel (Postgraduate Tutor)
- Scripture and Theology Seminar (Postgraduate Coordinator)
CPLS College Preparatory School, 2002–2004
- Classics of Western Literature (9th grade)
- U.S. History (10th grade)
- Moral Philosophy: Truth, Beauty, Goodness (11th–12th grade)
- Political Philosophy: Liberty, Justice, Equality (11th–12th grade)
- Creative Writing (12th grade)
- Yearbook (9th–12th grade)